Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Week 4 #edcmooc

True to form, I have never really been a very good "traditional student" and had little motivation to read or respond to the undergraduate assignments of dissecting metaphor or the underlying meanings of videos or readings. Though in my early 20's, I thought dissecting T. S. Eliot or Ingmar Bergmann or having the ability to read and dissect Baudelaire in the original French was pretty cool. I now prefer to stay in the present and appreciate art for whatever it elicits or does not elicit within my being in the present moment.

I no longer divide the world or ethics or art into categories nor am willing to waste any energy pretending to down regulate my mental software in order to go traipsing back to a less developed mental state. After years of having to rapidly assimilate data and formulate action plans in order to keep my little piece of the universe flowing, that type of conscious analyzation was dumped from conscious processing to the nethers of subconsciousness (machine language?) long ago.

Instead, this course was professional development for me, learning about resources to utilize in e and digital learning, and as such, I would consider well worth my investment of time.

It has been enlightening to view my colleagues' blogs and digital creations. It has inspired me to get on with a work project and given me the confidence to quit worrying about  everything being "perfect" and just get on with it. I will be trying different methods of conveying information in many facets of my professional life.

I learned something from absolutely everyone I connected with in this wonderful experience.Thanks to all the participants in MOOC #edcmooc for educating me.

5 comments:

  1. Nice post and I agree about learning from others, it's been amazing. The best thing is that it doesn't always feel like learning. I have read some of the texts, as I felt I ought to, but have preferred the videos and connections with classmates. The exception being the "is Google making us stupid" which I did find interesting and easier to digest compared to Chandlers Technological Determinism which I have simply abandoned!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment,Nat,you are more disciplined than myself..what do you think..is Google making us stupider? and beautiful photos of your habitat

      Delete
  2. Hi Nat and Deborah. Just found this post by investigating the Orion Nebula :)

    About Google I don't think it does the big difference regarding our stupidity. Google is like books. You can find the stuff that make you grow or you can seek the other categories. I never met anyone who had become wiser by reading Barbara Cartland.

    I really like your nebula. I agree it's beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  3. "It has been enlightening to view my colleagues' blogs and digital creations. It has inspired me to get on with a work project and given me the confidence to quit worrying about everything being "perfect" and just get on with it. I will be trying different methods of conveying information in many facets of my professional life." Well observed! I'm trying to act to loosen up, but my musician-conductor side screams at me - "wait until it's better..."

    Here is a blog of my musings written for The Association for Music in International Schools. http://heinsite.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the compliment, Rick. I have to admit that I am been involved teaching stress management for many years and you know what they say, "physician, heal thyself." I actually got involved with it years ago when I so desperately needed it. For some reason, coping skills tend to be left out of most curriculums and many include quite the opposite, stressing conformity, perfectionism and one right way to do things.

    ReplyDelete